Mission Trip Information – Honduras
Thank you for agreeing to participate in a mission trip with Open Eyes Ministries. We ask you to prepare for this trip by strengthening yourself through prayer and fasting so that you will be prepared to minister to the people of Honduras and share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with them. This trip is not to be taken lightly. It is serious business and know that the staff of OEM Honduras are praying for you also.
As you get ready:
- Be prayed up! Know that Satan does not want you to come! He may put all kinds of obstacles in your way. DON’T LET HIM WIN!!!!
- Use your team mates. One thing that has helped many teams is to create a prayer and fasting schedule a few weeks before you leave. Ask you team to sign up for a day(s) a few weeks before your trip begins to fast and pray for that 24-hour period, covering all the team members, the OEM missionaries and staff, your travel, and the contacts God will have you make when you get to Honduras.
- Use Bible verses to strengthen you. Examples are:
Deuteronomy 31:8, Matthew 19:26, Ephesians 6:11-18, Ephesians 3:20, Romans 12:1-2, 2 Chronicles 15:7, Jerimiah 29:13.
There are many others.
- Start a journal before you leave and bring it with you to write in while you are there. This will keep your journey alive.
- Have whatever you are going to use on the plan of salvation scriptures memorized. Practice them before you leave. A good example is the Romans Road. There are many others that you may choose to use.
Even if you have never done it before, have it ready in your heart and mind. Practice on some of you friends before you leave.
- You will be surprised at how many times God will place you in a situation when your testimony or experiences will be just what can be used by Him to let people know you are a person they can relate to. Be prepared to share what God has done in your life.
- Know that your team fees are used, not only for your room and board, but also for staff salaries, transportation and other administrative expenses.
Honduras is the second largest country in Central America and is a vibrant country, brimming with clear turquoise waters, pristine beaches, lush jungles, breathtaking mountains, challenging rivers, and fascinating ancient ruins.
But Honduras is a developing country (don’t call it Third World) and is the second poorest country in Central America. There is an abundance of poor. The Hondurans are an extremely beautiful, proud, smart and clean people. Even when you go into areas where people live in huts with dirt floors, they are clean. They are also friendly and hospitable.
What to Bring
- Your Bible
- Your Passport
- Women need to bring modest skirts or dresses for the days that you attend church. When you are out in the community doing ministry, you can wear walking shorts and capris. You can wear shorts at the team house/hotel/shopping, etc. No spaghetti straps or short skirts.
- Men should make sure to bring at least one pair of long pants to wear for any church services. Walking shorts can be used during ministry.
- It will be hot. There may or may not be AC in your bedroom. There will be fans. Know that your body will become acclimated to the heat after you have been here a few days.
- Utilities are very expensive so, if you are staying at the team house, please make sure you cut the A/C off as you leave the room and the fans also. The team house, other than the bedrooms, is not air conditioned but has good ventilation. If you are staying in the team house, please bring a good towel and washcloth that you can leave. You will be able to wash clothes but only full loads at a time.
- You cannot put toilet paper in the toilets. It must be disposed of in the trash can next to the toilet. The sewage pipes are narrow and cannot flush out a lot of toilet paper. You will get used to this.
- All cash you bring must be clean, untorn and have no ink marks.
- Remember you must follow TSA rules for liquids and gels when you get to the airport. One quart sizes, clear bag with no more than 3 ounces of each product are allowed. All other much be placed in your checked luggage.
- You must have your luggage tag receipt in hand to take your luggage out of the airport in Honduras.
- On the customs form you get on the plane, use Comayagua Golf Club, Comayagua, Comayagua. Telephone number is 504-3379-7179.
- Bring an insulated water bottle. It is imperative to stay hydrated in the heat.
- There is WIFI in the team house.
- Do not go anywhere outside by yourself. Stick with your team members.
- Do not give anyone money, especially to children. Bottom line; don’t give anyone outside the team house money without missionary permission.
- You can take candy, toys, etc. to give out at the houses you are visiting, but do not give out in the streets.
- Do not bring in fruits and vegetables in or out of the country.
- The United States will not allow you to bring unpackaged food into the states. You can bring packaged food (such as coffee) in.
Most importantly, Open Eyes Ministries staff are here to further the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Please take the instructions they give you seriously, obey them and respect them. They know the culture, the schedule and are professionals at what they do.
God Bless you and we are very excited you are coming,
Terry and Arlene duPont